Friday, June 23, 2006

Working man

Today is the first day of my 4th week here at JDSU. So far it's been great. The guys I'm working with are dedicated, intelligent and hard-working.

I've been looking forward to working for so long now. College was "fun" and all, but I was pretty tired of it and was really itching to get out and actually do some real work!

I got my first task assigned to me on the first day and I've been going at it since. It's nice to be working in UNIX when I program. I don't care how good Visual Studio is - and it is good - the *NIX environment is just much better suited for software development. With MSVS you get a software suite that provides a comfortable development environment. With UNIX, the entire OS is a comfortable environment!

The hardest thing for me to adjust to has been learning when to put the work down and go home. Even harder has been to learn to take time for lunch, instead of eating while working. So during lunch I've been playing around with Inkscape, an SVG creation tool, in order to create a wallpaper with the JDSU logo in it. I think I did well.

One thing that I haven't had to adjust to has been living with Keri. Today is our one month anniversary of moving in together, and I am having a freaking ball! After almost 4 years of us dating long-distance, I am really enjoying spending so much time with her. Somehow even the mundane stuff like cleaning the apartment can be a lot of fun.

So things are pretty sweet, I guess. Finally getting out of college has been liberating. I have finaly begun to live the life that I wanted for myself.

No comments: